Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Gender in Japan


I would like to write this week’s blog focusing on the difference of the power between men and women in Japan. In Japan, there is an idea that men are superior to women. For example, in former days, there is discrimination between men and women. Women did not have suffrage until 1880 because women were regarded that they only had to support men. In addition, women couldn’t have high status.
According to my grandmother who is 92 years old now, women had to obey men in former days. Men always order women to do something like housework. If women did not follow them, some men used violence on women. Moreover, people believed that it was bad for women to drink. There were some women who drunk, but they were laughed by others if they drunk.





Today, those discrimination becomes less than before. There is some laws that show equality among gender. For example, there is a law that aim is to secure equality of employment among men and women. In fact, there are many women who have job and become active in each field. However, the idea that men are superior to women does not completely disappear. I found an investigation conducted by labor department of Gifu prefecture office. They asked if office worker felt gender difference in an office, and 35% of women and 25% of men answered yes. About 28% of women and 34% of men answered they felt some difference between gender. According to this survey, we can see more than 60% of women and about 60% of men felt gender difference while they were working.






It also can be seen in our dairy life. In Japan, wives usually do housework such as washing dishes and laundry, and cleaning house. Actually, in my house, my mother always does housework though both of my parents have job. While my mother does housework, my father is watching TV. Recently, my father helps her with housework like washing laundry, but she still does housework mostly. When I went to Australia 4 years ago, I was surprised at their idea about housework that is different from Japanese idea. I stayed with my host family for 2weeks. They didn’t have the idea that women have to do housework like Japan, and they always cooperate with each other. My host parents did housework in turn. My host father often goes shopping, and takes care of their pet. I think the number of Japanese husbands who help their wives with housework is increasing compared to before. Moreover, in some families, husbands stay at their house, and do housework and take care of their children while wives are working outside. I think those families are also increasing compared to before. However, we still have the idea that men are stronger than women, and women should support men.

4 comments:

  1. I really like how you combined multiple perspectives on this, such as your grandmother, the historical and newer laws, and your experience in Australia.

    The changes that you mentioned, about men performing more house work; I'm curious what is your opinion on this? As an insider to Japanese culture, how do you feel about the traditional role of men and women?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second R.A.'s comments about multiple perspectives - very nice.

    When it comes to the law, I'm afraid Japan is still in the dark ages when it comes to gender equality. I am not necessarily talking about strict gender roles - as you note these are, and indeed have to, change. Men have to do laundry and wash dishes. But the few laws that are in place to protect or encourage women in the workforce have no real teeth. There are no real punishments or penalties for companies that continue to discriminate. Marriage laws are outdated as well. Wives are still seen as property owned by the husband. The new DPJ government has made a lot of promises when it comes to changing gender roles in Japan - it will be interesting to see what they can really do and what will be tolerated.

    How do you feel about your role as a woman in Japan? Are you going to do all the housework while your husband watches TV?

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Stern
    Thank you very much for your comment! I'm glad that men perform more housework. Moreover, it is true that women's ideal against men becomes higher, and a lot of women hope that men will share houseworks with them. I helped some housework since I was young because my mother was busy for her job. My grandmother often told me I should do housework because I was female. I think Japanese traditional idea about roles of men and women is old because I think there is no need to separate roles completely by gender. Some men are good at houseworks such as cooking. Moreover, there are many women who actively participate in thier job today. Therefore, I think it is not fair that women do all houseworks. However, I like cooking so I will do housework for my future husband when I get married... :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. To visual gonthros
    I agree with your point that wives are still seen as property owned by husband because it is common that husbands have strong power than wives. In my house, my parents are equal to each other but I think my father has a little stronger power than my mother. I felt unfairness when my father told my mother do something strongly (may be my father was irritated then) despite she also had job and did most of housework.
    I will do housework for my future husband may be mostly because I like cooking and I want to do something for my husband. However, I don't want him to take it for granted. If he thanks to me about that, I can do, but...if he thinks it is natural that I have to do all of housework, may be I will complain sometime...
    In addition, I strongly want him to take care of children together. In Japan, some husbands don't care about their family or children and they say it is because they are busy for their job. In other countries, they attach importance on spending time with their family, and I think Japanese husbands should follow them.

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.