Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Changing impression of Japan



This class is my first time to take a class with oversea students so I could realize both possitive points and negative points of Japan through this course. I was happy that I could know other student' different point of view from Japanese.



I clearly remember that the first thing at which I was surprised was other students' image toward Japan. The professor asked us whether Japan is drinking country or not, and most students agreed that Japan was a drinking country. I didn't have an image that Japan is a drinking country, so I was very surprised at their opinions. I also had an image that people in other countries go to bar more often than Japan, and they also drink alcohol much more than Japanese.






Moreover, I could realize the good point of Japan too through this course and this blog. For example, there is a typical image that Japanese people focus on the importance of harmony of group. Although it might have a negative point such as Japanese focus on group too much and some of them are not good at expressing our opinions, because of this culture, we have a strong connection between people as I mentioned in the blog post 2. In addition to that, Japan has a culture to enjoy nature. In Japan, we have 4 seasons; spring, summer, autumn and winter, and we have some events in each season. There are some events that people enjoy the nature such as "Momiji-gari"(maple). I think most of Japanese people like to participate in those events and co-exist with nature.






On the other hand, I also realized negative points of Japan. As we learned in this class which was about politics, we have some problems such as the problem of Japanese anthem. I didn't know about the problem until I took this course because I had never seen such a situation. I felt I should know about Japan more, and it is important to do so before I study about other countries.



I'm really happy that I could take this course and know the different point of view about Japan. I couldn't get them if I studied with only Japanese students. I also could think about Japan afresh, and I could know things I didn't recognize because I took it for granted. I would like to make the most of experience in this class, and consider things without being a slave of Japanese point of view. By doing so, I would like to improve my way of thinking in order to be able to decide what is good or bad, and how to improve them.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your ideas and observations in this post. Japan certainly is not perfect (no place is...) and while there are a lot of problems I still like to think the good outweighs the bad. That does not mean we should ignore the problems. Discussion, discourse and exchanging ideas and perspectives all work to improve our lot. Thank you for efforts in doing so with your blog this semester.

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.